Skip to Content

Campus Safety

Our mission is to provide a safe educational, living, and working community through collaboration with departments across the campus as well as the local community.

The Department of Campus Safety provides the College with the ability to identify and respond to situations in a timely fashion that will increase a student’s success in the education process. Campus Safety is dedicated to identifying and investigating activity that is against campus policies or federal, state, and local laws. Additionally, the department is committed to keeping open lines of communications within the Landmark College community, the local community, and emergency services. During extreme weather and other emergencies, the College will communicate via an emergency alert system.

Meet the Campus Safety Staff

We encourage members of the community to share their concerns, comments, and thoughts regarding the safety and security of the Landmark College campus. The Students of Concern & Threat Assessment Team works to ensure that the College is safe and secure for all students, staff, faculty, and visitors.

The Campus Safety Office is located in Davis Hall, Room 001. If the duty officer is not in the office, then you can contact him or her by calling 802-387-6899 from off campus, or x6899 on campus. The duty officer can also be contacted via the campus portable radio system, which is held by any of the Resident Deans, Resident Assistants, or Facilities personnel while they are on duty.

Campus Safety Reports

The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act requires institutions of higher education participating in student financial aid programs under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965 to disclose information about campus safety policies and procedures and to provide statistics concerning certain crimes that occurred on or near campus.

This report is posted by October 1 of each year on the Landmark College website.

Printed copies of this report are available at no charge in the Student Affairs, Campus Safety, and Enrollment Offices and at the Landmark College Library.

2023 Annual Campus Safety & Fire Safety Report (includes statistics for calendar years 2021 – 2023)

State of Vermont Definitions of Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, Sexual Assault, Stalking and Consent with Regard to Sexual Activity

These definitions of the State of Vermont are provided as a requirement of the Campus SaVE Act. For a full list of definitions the College uses in its policy, please see the Student Handbook policy entitled “Sexual Harassment, Sexual Misconduct, Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking

Useful Phone Numbers

AIDS Hotline 800-342-2437

Animal Control (Windham County Sheriff’s Department) 802-365-4942

Brattleboro Community Justice Center 802-257-8611

Brattleboro Memorial Hospital 802-257-0341

Brattleboro Retreat 802-257-7785

Domestic Abuse Hotline 800-228-7395

LIFEWAY Crisis Pregnancy Center 802-254-6734

Planned Parenthood Brattleboro Health Center 802-257-0534

Putney Fire Department (non-emergency) 802-387-4372

Rape Crisis Hotline 800-489-7273

Windham County Court 802-257-2800

Windham County Sheriff’s Department (non-emergency) 802-365-4942

Windham County Victims Advocate 802-257-2860

Women’s Freedom Center 802-257-7364

Vermont Department of Motor Vehicle 802-828-2000

Vermont State Police (non-emergency) 802-722-4600


Please feel free to contact Campus Safety at [email protected] or 802-387-6899.

Campus Safety Information

  • What do I do if something in my room is broken?

    You should contact your Resident Dean or Resident Assistant as soon as possible so a work request can be submitted for the repair.

    Where do I go to find out if a repair was done?

    Your Resident Dean can track the repairs completed and the date of completion.

    Will I be charged if something needs to be repaired?

    If it is determined that the damage was intentional or malicious, the College may financially charge you for the repair. You may also face judicial action.

  • Campus Safety is tasked with maintaining the physical security of all buildings and areas on campus. Each building is locked and unlocked based on the occupation and use of the building. Residence Halls are locked 24 hours a day regardless of the building use. The buildings on the LC campus are primarily used by the campus community. On occasion, certain areas of campus are used by agencies or groups from off-campus. These individuals are informed of the campus policy and procedures regarding the securing of the building/area being utilized, with the duty officer confirming the security of the building after the group departs from campus.

    Each student who resides on campus is issued an access card and an appropriate key(s) for their specific building and room. It is the responsibility of the student to remember their access card and their room key at all times. Students should lock their rooms at all time. If a student forgets or loses their access card or key, then the duty officer may be contacted for entrance upon confirmation of the student with the building and/or room.

  • How do I find out if school is canceled or delayed?

    Landmark College has a procedure in place that notifies students and employees of campus closing or delays. Messages will be sent out to the community via text messaging, portal announcements, email, and the use of radio stations. For more information, visit the Emergency Alert System page.

  • There are two emergency “blue light” call boxes on campus. One is located on the pathway from LOT D to the Quad entrance of the Fine Arts Building. The second call box is located on the hillside pathway outside the Library, across from the Library Hill. Each box is designed to place a direct call to the duty officer. When activated, a blue light on top of the box is illuminated, providing the individual with a visual indicator of the location of the caller.

  • An emergency on campus includes incidents in which life or property safety may be at risk. The main focus during an emergency is to protect the life of community members. The Department responds to all emergency service calls. The officers are trained on the immediate response to emergency situations, including contacting the necessary outside agencies to resolve the incident. It is important that all community members respond as directed in an emergency to protect not only the individuals and property involved, but for individuals’ safety during the incident.

  • Although the Landmark College campus is considered a safe environment for living, learning and working, there may be times in which a student or employee does not feel comfortable walking from one section of the campus to another. If this occurs, the individual may contact the duty officer and be escorted to the individual’s destination. Escorts may also occur when a student is requested to be seen by the Dean of Students or other senior college official.

  • In case of fire, can I call 9-1-1?

    You can call 9-1-1 directly. If you place a call directly to 9-1-1, call the duty officer immediately after the 9-1-1 call so that proper response is provided. If the situation is not immediately life threatening, then call the duty officer first to assist in the process.

    What is a fire emergency?

    A fire emergency is a situation in which an actual fire or the smell of smoke is apparent.

    Where do I go if the fire alarm activates?

    If you are in a residence hall, then proceed to the meeting area as instructed by the Resident Dean, Resident Assistant, Facilities worker, or Duty Officer. It is important that you remain out of the way of the emergency vehicles and staff. If you are in another building on campus, proceed as instructed by a college official or to any other building on campus in which you will not be in the way of the emergency responders.

    Will I be charged for fire-related incidents?

    The Town of Putney will financially charge you a fine if it is determined that the fire was malicious in nature, or if the Town has responded more than three times for the same type of instance in one calendar year (for example, if you live in the Bridges and burn food on the stove repeatedly).

    If the fire incident is determined to be arson, then you may be criminally charged.

  • What should I report?

    Incident reports are filed on many different subjects. Some of the most common incidents include, but are not limited to, conflicts with other students, missing items, medical assistance, and witnessing illegal activities. You should feel free to report any incident that you feel needs investigation or follow up by a college administer.

    How do I fill out an incident report?

    The first step is contacting the duty officer, resident dean, or resident assistant. Specific questions will be asked based on the situation. You may be asked to provide a written statement to support the information provided.

    Why do I need to write a statement?

    A written statement provides the duty officer with firsthand information. This information is important especially if the incident leads to judicial actions by providing a clear understanding of the incident. By having the incident written down as soon as possible there is less chance for vital information being forgotten or misconstrued later.

    What can I expect after filing a report?

    Depending on the situation you may be asked to speak with a resident dean, the Director of Residential Life, the Judicial Affairs Officer, or the Dean of Students to provide clarification of the incident. In some cases you may directly learn of the outcome of the report.

    The Department considers all incidents a serious matter and will investigate such to the fullest extent. If, during the course of an investigation, it becomes clear that a violation of State or Federal law has occurred, then the Duty Officer will contact the local law enforcement authorities. In a case where the incident is fire-related, the local Fire Chief will be contacted for assistance in the investigation process. Individuals have the right to contact an outside agency for investigations. Such contact information can be obtained through the local phone directory or by contacting the Duty Officer.

  • The Department will respond to requests from students and employees who have locked themselves out of the living or work spaces.

    What do I do if I lock myself out of my room?

    Contact should be made with the Campus Safety Duty Officer who will come and unlock the door, after verification that the space is assigned to the individual making the request.

    My key doesn’t work, now what?

    Contact the Campus Safety Duty Officer to confirm if a lock change had occurred and if there are new keys to be assigned. If a lock change has occurred, then contact should be made to the Resident Dean, who will submit a work request to the Facilities Department for repair of the lock or replacement of the key.

    Will I be charged for having someone let me into my room?

    There are no charges applied for the first three times you lock yourself out of your assigned space. After three lockout requests are granted, then you will be fined according to Campus policy.

    What do I do if I am feeling unsafe while trying to get back to my room?

    Contact the Campus Safety Duty Officer and the duty officer will assist you in making it to your destination. There are emergency call boxes located around the campus. These “Blue Light” call boxes dial directly to the Duty Officer.

  • What do I do if I lose something?

    If you have lost an item, check your belongings and the areas in which you last had the item. If the item cannot be located, then a check of the Campus Safety Lost & Found should be made and a report filed with the Campus Safety Department.

    What do I do with something that I find?

    If the owner is known and not immediately located, or if the owner is unknown, then the item should be turned in to Campus Safety.

    How long are things kept before they are disposed of?

    Found property is maintained at the Campus Safety for the duration of the semester in which it was found. At the end of the semester, all items are disposed of per the College disposal policy.

    How are items disposed of?

    Items may be thrown in the trash, donated to the community tag sale, or, if the owner is known, returned to the owner at the owner’s expense.

  • If the situation is life-threatening, call 9-1-1, then call the Duty Officer.

    What do I do if I am not feeling well and need to go to Health Services?

    What To Do When an Emergency Occurs After Hours

    During business hours, a call should be placed to Health Services to determine the time at which the nursing staff can see you. If a medical condition prevents you from walking to Health Services, the duty officer can be contacted for transportation assistance.

    After business hours, the on-call doctor system should be used. The doctor will provide advice on whether you should wait until the next business day to go to Health Services, whether you should be seen immediately at the emergency room of the local hospital, or whether there is medical assistance the doctor can provide over the phone.

    What do I do if I have a medical condition that makes it difficult to walk around campus?

    Contact should be made with Health Services, who will determine medical accommodations. In turn, Health Services will contact the Campus Safety Department with the needed information to provide parking accommodations or transportation needs.

    What is a medical emergency?

    A medical emergency is a medical situation in which the person feels that their condition will worsen before they can see a nurse at Health Services. In most cases, a medical emergency will involve the local rescue services, who will respond on campus to access the situation.

    Who do I contact if I am not feeling well?

    If you are not feeling well, but it is not an emergency, you should visit Health Services in the Strauch Family Student Center.

    Can I call 9-1-1?

    You can call 9-1-1 directly. If you place a call directly to 9-1-1, call the duty officer immediately after the 9-1-1 call so that proper response is provided. If the situation is not immediately life threatening, then call the duty officer first to assist in the process.

  • The property identification program is a voluntary program in which an individual can register their personal high-value items with the Department of Campus Safety. This program is designed to assist in the protection from theft as well as to assist in the recovery of stolen items on campus.

  • The department has a variety of safety-related programs, including fire safety, alcohol awareness, and property identification. Programs can be developed as requested or as the need arises. The purpose for all programs is to provide the community with the ability to take control of protecting themselves while on campus and off.

  • Although transporting individuals is not a primary duty for the Department, there are times in which it benefits the individual and the College for the individual to be transported to their destination. Situations in which transports may be required include vehicle transportation of ill students who cannot walk to Health Services, an individual with a temporary medical condition needing assistance getting around campus, and guests and visitors with an impairment in which walking the campus may be difficult.

  • All employees and students must be registered with the Department of Campus Safety. This registration provides us with the ability to locate and notify the owner in case of an emergency, or if the vehicle needs to be moved for facilities work. When registered, the vehicle will be assigned to a specific parking lot on campus based on office location or the seniority of students.

Back to top